Thursday, October 6, 2011

Corn Worms!!!

It is so Beautiful here in Phoenix today! I actually put long sleeves on the kids and myself! Perfect day to spend some extra time in the garden. I was admiring my corn bed, watching bees buzzzzz all over! I love it! Until I noticed some little holes on a leaf of the corn…

045048

YUCK!!!

Corn Worms!! As I started to look closer I noticed they were all over! Since my corn bed is only 10’ by4’ I decided I would search every stalk and pick them all off! They left some nasty “presents” behind for me, GROSS! I continued to pick and clean till I was sure I had gotten all of them!

046047

This cup represents half of what I actually got off of the corn! I read in The Extreme Garden book on Corn and he said…

044

“Put a drop of mineral oil on the tip of each corn when the tassels turn brown to keep the worms from entering”

So that is what I am going to try! I was pretty frustrated about the whole situation but some ladies I know thought it was pretty great!

050052

If you don’t have Chickens, the garden guys says to drop the worms into a cup of soapy waterSmile

1 comment:

azplantlady said...

Oh, I hope I don't get any corn worms. I'm going outside to check my corn right now. Since I don't have chickens, I have a cup of soapy water ready :-)

Noelle (azplantlady)